jueves, 22 de diciembre de 2022

Farewell, My Canon Pixma ip1800 Printer! Hello again, Epson XP-231 Printer!

    Yesterday, I discovered that my MX-18 system (32 bits) ran too old for updates. Thus, I started testing MX-21.  This computer is so old and so weird that I always bump into some problem.

    Well, I was right.  Firefox keeps crashing (it started doing it since release 96, I think, on MX-18).  I guess it has to do with the 32 bit architecture because Firefox does not present that issue on my 64 bit laptops.


 

   Then, it was the time to check if my printers worked.  I was totally out of luck with my Canon Pixma ip1800.  Although I had the drivers and knew the way to install them, unsolvable dependencies would make the installation impossible. I'll have to think about a way to get it to work as it is a fine printer and it is perfectly functional. 



   Next, I checked my Epson XP-231 printer.  I did notice something weird: there were no drivers for the XP series! Where did they go? 

 

  Fortunately, a little search got me back on track. Following this method from the friends at Linux Mint, did the job. All I needed to do was to open a terminal and type this command:

 sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr

With it, the XP drivers were available again. Instead of the printer setting tool, I used CUPS for the set up. Not to forget, you enter CUPS from your browser by typing this on the address bar:

http://localhost:631

 By the way, the method to get the scanner to function still works

The next step will be to see if I can get the printer to go wireless...

1 comentario:

  1. I hope everything works fine. I actually use a cable instead of the wireless, hehe.

    ResponderEliminar