domingo, 21 de mayo de 2023

Woah! The 13th. Anniversary of This Blog!

 When I migrated to Linux 13 years ago I never thought I'd learn no much! 😁

Now that the world is heading to another enormous change, fueled by Artificial Intelligence, I cannot help comparing computer life then with what it is now... of course, also thinking about what it may become in the near future.

What has not changed? Let's see:

1- I still don't know my way around the Linux terminal. I handle about 5 commands, not very well, but that's pretty much it. For the most part, Linux forums have been my help all this time whenever I have hit a problem requiring the console. Such problems, though, have become more and more scarce each year.

2- I am still hearing my colleagues complain about Windows, with pretty much the same issues: "Windows is slow," "Malware is a pain," "I cannot do X or Y."

3- Linux distros keep coming and going.  I've lost many of my most loved ones, but others have appeared.

What has changed?

1- Windows has been losing market share more and more.  I never thought I'd see a day in which it had less than 90 percent.  Well, right now it seems to be doing worse than that:

Now Windows is below 70% worldwide!

 2- Market share metrics have become quite weird.  As you can notice, they seemingly show that Linux has not advanced much in 13 years!  Still, you now see a weird "unknown" label that is in 3rd place. It had 7.3% in March this year and climbed to a whooping 13% in April.  What is that?  Shouldn't the ones in charge of the metrics find out what that "unknown" is?  Russian or Chinese computers with a new OS?  Not really: it is the same here in my country:

Wow! 14.67% "unknown" in Costa Rica!
 

Is that, then, an army of computers with a powerful VPN? Who knows... nobody has cared to explain or analyze this phenomenon. Anyway, market share became irrelevant for tech writers once Windows hit less than 95%.
 

What will change?

I think that the biggest change will be promoted by the different possibilities Artificial Intelligence offers.  They now write, design images or video, compose music and even sing!  I've heard Michael Jackson singing anime themes!

Tux (Japanese style) as designed by an AI
 

Of course, companies with deep pockets are integrating AI chatbots to their Operating Systems and are in a crazy race to be first... but they have become increasingly worried because open source is reducing the gap in the results such companies have.  Their work of years is quickly paired by the advancements of open source AI in months!

I bet soon a Linux distro will come with an AI integrated.  Which one? One of the current ones?  Maybe it will be a totally new distro.  Let's see what happens.

Happy Anniversary, Linux Migrante!  🎉

Happy Anniversary (by Mechatotoro, made with AI Fotor)

 
AI Fotor image made by Mechatoro


2 comentarios:

  1. Happy 13 anniversary! I wanted to test the anime picture creator feature, but messed it up and ran out of credits. Interesting post... That mysterious unknown category should be investigated. How come there are so many computers running an OS that has the 3rd place in market share and no one is curious about it?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. @Mechatotoro: Thank you! I wonder what that Mystery OS is. Thank you for the images, too!

    ResponderEliminar