lunes, 29 de agosto de 2011

A New Mac...Running Windows XP??!!

Yesterday, while I was chatting with a Chinese friend, she told me something interesting.
Apparently, her laptop had been damaged, so I asked her about the state of her computer.
She said "It's hopeless. Windows suggested me to turn off the system, but it refused to do it, so I forced the turn off. Since then, Windows has not been able to boot and rescue system does not work, either."
Then, I suggested her to go dual booting Linux-Windows once she got her Windows serviced. She said "Yes, I think you're right. I should do that."
Then, she told me she was using a Mac her boss had lent her.
This is the interesting part...according to my friend, her boss bought me Mac, wiped out the system...and installed Windows XP on it!
I couldn't believe what she had just told me. What on earth would someone do that for??
I asked my friend: "And does it work well? I mean, XP is quite resource-hungry..."

She replied "Of course not! I've noticed several problems already! This is such a waste!"

Really, besides the waste, I think there's something deeper here. It's quite a nice example of mind domestication...Although the human brain is highly adaptable and capable of learning, how come people sometimes prefer to keep clinging to old paradigms, and even impose them when they do not apply? Using XP (or Windows) is fine if you like it, but you should also be willing to learn new tricks sometimes...who knows if they are going to save you someday...


4 comentarios:

  1. That someone can do that truly gives me the creeps.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Buying a Mac just to wipe Mac OS out of the hardrive and have it replaced with Windows is nothing short of heresy! I don't have a Mac, but the OS is what make one truly special, nevermind the overpriced hardware. I probably would consider dual-booting it with a Linux distro, but with that OS from Redmond?!
    I love Linux for its freedom and flexibility, which Mac OS lacks, but apart from that, I don't know which one is better desktop OS. Seriously.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. All I'd want XP for is playing StarCraft... Also there was no need to wipe off MacOS when you can bootcamp... Now that I think about it maybe Mac OS can run starcraft... maybe I should buy a mac and dualboot linux... or triple boot with windwos... But it would need very specific components for my requirements... probably wouldn't work out.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. @ Mechatotoro, Helder, and Fenrir,

    Yes, I don't understand that move, especially if dual boot is a possibility. People amaze me sometimes! :P

    ResponderEliminar