jueves, 1 de septiembre de 2011

25,000 Children Are about to Learn Sugar!



Good news today! I read in the news that the Ministry of Education in my country is about to provide 25,000 laptops for several elementary schools in two years. These laptops are the XO-1 models by the project OLPC (One Laptop Per Child).

The news had written "Top Notch Technology" as a subtitle for the section that described Sugar, the OS of these computers. It also mentioned "fomenting critical thinking." Nice!

What does this mean? Simply put, that 25,000 kids are about to learn computing without Windows. Their first computing experience will be with Sugar, a Linux-based OS. Add that to all the kids who are nowadays using Android and what do you get? A new generation of kids for whom Redmond's OS is not necessarily THE Operating System.

Of course, I'm expecting Microsoft to retalitate...let's see how long it takes! :P

3 comentarios:

  1. Hahahaha, maybe I can get one of those for Eimi's next birthday...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. that reminds me of a thought that crossed my mind today about netbooks would make good handheld videogame consoles... since today's generation gameboys/nintendo are getting bigger both will end up looking alike...

    Children will try out these laptops and go how the hell do I install games on it?? Then go looking on the web and meet Wine xD Next thing you know, with such motivation they might become quite skillful programmers D:

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Except that I don't think children will be allowed to take them out of school...

    ResponderEliminar