jueves, 29 de septiembre de 2011

Winds of Change...


Last week, my university approved the use of open source software officially and adopted Open Document Format (ODF) as its standard. The TV news even covered the decision!

Yesterday, two ex-students greeted me with the words "Professor, we need Linux!" and one of them offered to leave her laptop with me to get it fueled by Tux as soon as possible.

Today, another professor told me that he has been looking for vendors who offer PCs with Linux pre-installed in my country.

Slowly, more people will get the chance to try different tech-related options...with a bit of luck, they might even realize that their freedom has been restricted and a number of them may want to take it back...

That would be great! The more informed individuals are, the more difficult it will be for big companies to force their customers to accept poor deals "because that's how computers work."

6 comentarios:

  1. This is definitely a great piece of news! The university will save lots of money by using open source money and a lot of people will have the chance to get information about the use of this tool, and more and more students will ask for Linux. I told my principal about Linux and he didn't now anything about it, and he was impressed about its advantages.
    By the way, I love the image. It's beautiful. <3 :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hey! Glad to see you here again!! Thanks for visiting! ^______^

    Yes, the use of Open Source Software will benefit the university and the country. I started using .odt already! hahaha!

    By the way, I owe that image to you. Thanks for teaching me the technique! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. It's a success indeed, however there will still be some uproar about it. I've heard people trying to warn that it might end up being expensive by looking cheap (common phrase in our country right? Lo barato sale caro xD). In an unsportsmanlike attitude from me I trolled them xD even I am surprised of myself, but anyway

    cheers! may we stand at dawn of a new enlightened future!!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. @ Fenrir,

    I saw your insightful comment. That didn't look as trolling to me, to be honest.

    ResponderEliminar