My new computer seems to be too new for Mepis 8.0 to handle. I'll hang in there until Mepis 11 comes out.
One small problem I got had to do with my Samsung SyncMaster B1930 flat monitor. Although Mepis could use it, I kept getting a "Current display settings are not optimal. 1366 x 768 60 Hz is recommended" notice at my login screen.
That led me to a new quest: how to configure my display settings.
The Way of Changing the Display Settings
Once I logged in and was at mepis desktop, I followed this procedure:
1- Pressed Ctrl+Alt+F1 This opens a console login. (The hideous black screen that many other newbies fear so much!)
2. Logged in as root. I achieved this by typing "root" when prompted and then the root password.
3. Got into Runlevel 3 by typing "telinit 3". Wow! This reminds me of my first RPG game: a very old, amateurish game called Dark Ages I: The Continents, by Brothersoft. All I remember of that game was that a drunkard advised the hero "to get 'lefels'." I don't know why I still remember that.
Anyway, This is a short description of the different runlevels (I took it from the Mepis Manual):
0 Halt (power down)
1 Single-user mode: provides a root console without logon. Useful if you lose your root password
2 Multiuser with no network
3 Console logon, no X (i.e. no GUI)
4 Not used/custom
5 Default GUI logon
As it can be seen, Lefel 3, I mean, runlevel 3 means no graphic elements...like the GOOD OL' TIMES!
4. Reconfigured Xorg. I typed "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" Here I got problems because I added extra spaces. Once I realized my mistake and typed the commands correctly, I could go on.
5. Followed the instructions on screen. The system asked me questions about the keyboard and such. I must confess that most of the times I just let the system choose or opted for the choice "if you are unsure, leave the option blank."
6. Booted up my system. I braced myself for a black screen and a kernel panic, but got my login screen much bigger and the "Current display settings are not optimal" notice was gone. It was a total success at the first time! :P