viernes, 20 de mayo de 2016

It's Been 6 Years Already!

It was 6 years ago when, during a workshop about blogs, this humble account of my experiences with Free Software was born.  After countless problems, I decided to forget about all the knowledge about Windows (funny, I thought it was about computers back then) that I had accumulated in around 15 years and migrated to the land of Tux.

I left my power user status...

I left many of my games and favorite apps...

I left the comfort of warranties and a solid customer support...

All to search for a totally new land.  An unknown world in which, surely enough, I would be a newbie again...

Wait a minute!  I never enjoyed warranties and much less a customer support of any type!  All I got was formatted hard drives thanks to those working in computer shops that were not directly related to Microsoft.

Also, I remember I left a land of viruses, Trojans, beacons, and malware of all possible kinds.

I left a realm of "this cannot be done" and of Blue Screens of Death.

I abandoned a world of constant system checks and paranoia.

And now, after 6 years as a full time Linux user, I can say:

I still don't know most of the command line.

I found excellent apps and my game collection is constantly growing.

I still need the help of those who kindly keep the forums of my distros.

I still get amazed at the advantages of using Linux.

I still have no idea of how to compile my kernel.

I may be a perpetual newbie, but the knowledge I've accumulated in these 6 years doubles that of my 15+ years using Windows.  I'm proud of that!

CHEERS!!!

2 comentarios:

  1. Everything that you've said seems identical to my experiences too (with the minor change of usage time: 7 years for me). Happy FOSSing!
    --
    a Linux Mint user since 2009 May 1

    ResponderEliminar