sábado, 6 de octubre de 2018

In Search for a New CPU

How hard can it be to find a new barebones CPU?  In the past, one could go to several shops and get one.  Today, I  tried to find one and it has been impossible to get one without either Windows 7 or Windows 10 already installed.

The worst part is that they claim that "since Windows comes for free," buying a no-OS CPU would not cost me less.  Really?  Since when has Microsoft been giving away licenses of Windows 7?  Also, I thought that the "free Windows 10" offer was good for a year, only.

The only reason I want a new CPU is because my desktop is 32 bits and the software I must use to complete my taxes runs just on 64 bit computers.


Chromeboxes are not an option because the software does not run on them.

Well... there are still some shops I haven't checked out.  I hope one of them still offers a CPU with a clean hard drive.

If I am not lucky, I guess I'll have to buy the components separately and put together the computer on my own.

What about a Linux box?  I have to check that option out, too.

1 comentario:

  1. Mmm. I hope you can find a place. If not, then I guess we are going to be putting our next machine together ourselves...

    ResponderEliminar